The Morris Canal Greenway Plan’s first Steering Committee meeting was held on May 22, 2012. The primary purpose of the meeting was to review the original Morris Canal alignment to identify opportunities and constraints that will influence the greenway alignment.
The attendees also developed a list of possible outcomes of a greenway along the Morris Canal in Jersey City. The following responses will help guide the development of a vision for the greenway:
- Create an opportunity to combine recreation and history/education
- Provide open space in an urban area
- Be an opportunity to “tell the story” of the Morris Canal through historic interpretation
- Offer an off-road facility where people can walk/bike safely and leisurely
- Reconnect the community with its history
- Provide connections to destinations and local landmarks on a facility dedicated to bicyclists and pedestrians
- Opportunity for green infrastructure
- Encourage people to walk/bike for recreation and transportation
- A Vision for the Morris Canal Greenway will be created utilizing input and priorities gathered at the Steering Committee meeting.
- Two to three routing options will be developed for the Morris Canal Greenway.
- A public workshop is anticipated to take place in Fall 2012 to solicit input about the greenway concept, proposed alignments, and design features.